2022 Summer Intern: Austin Ota, ‘23 (Management Science & Engineering and International Relations)
California Air Resources Board
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is charged with protecting the public from the harmful effects of air pollution and developing programs and actions to fight climate change. From requirements for clean cars and fuels to adopting innovative solutions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, California has pioneered a range of effective approaches that have set the standard for effective air and climate programs for the nation, and the world.
Office of Environmental Justice at CARB
Nested in CARB’s Executive Office, the Office of Environmental Justice (OEJ) is committed to advancing racial equity and environmental justice as a fundamental part of all that the California Air Resources Board does, including programs that reduce exposure to pollutants and improve the quality of life in California communities facing environmental and economic challenges. The Office of Environmental Justice is committed to prioritizing environmental justice in everything that CARB does. This is supported by engaging with community members to provide them with the best possible information about the air they breathe and working with them to improve air quality in their communities. OEJ provides guidance and develops and implements policies across CARB divisions to integrate environmental justice broadly throughout CARB and promote environmental justice across the state, through engaging communities and supporting community-driven policy agenda.
- Interviewing community stakeholders and writing blog posts to CARB’s environmental justice blog;
- Assisting staff with the implementation of the AB 617 Community Air Grants Program;
- Organizing virtual listening sessions to hear perspectives and experiences from community members;
- Help the Environmental Justice Advisory Committee (EJAC) lead staff with the assignments tracking and provide support when and where needed
- Help the team on Community Engagement Guidance Document, Curriculum Development and other work happening.
- Help the team members with agendas for various meetings and work with Equity APS to develop surveys.
- Help the OEJ Team with the coordination of various meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
CARB seeks interns who are able to work collaboratively in teams as well as take direction and work independently on assignments as needed. In addition, CARB encourages candidates with the following skillsets:
- Interested in equity, environmental justice, community engagement, and partnership building;
- Knowledge of grant administration is desired;
- Ability to understand and analyze scientific and technical data;
- Desire to gain knowledge of air quality and climate change;
- Strong written and communication skills;
- Ability to engage with the public and communicate technical information in plain language;
- Knowledge of Spanish is desired;
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic are desired.
People of color, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented and underserved groups and communities are encouraged to apply.