Faculty Mentor: Ted Glasser
Internews is an international non-profit organization whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices heard. Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, introduces innovative media solutions, increases coverage of vital issues, and helps establish policies needed for open access to information. Internews has worked in more than 70 countries, and currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, and North America.
Internews has an exciting new project in Myanmar. Internews has backed the creation of Phandeeyar. Phandeeyar is an “ICT Hub” located in the heart of downtown Yangon. It is designed to bring the tech community together with others who are moving Myanmar forward – such as civil society organizations and independent media – to build the tools, platforms and content to accelerate change and development.
The proposed fellow will assist with the development of Phandeeyar. Phandeeyar’s work includes: (1) helping to expand the pool of tech talent in Myanmar; (2) helping CSOs and independent media integrate technology into their strategy; and (3) bringing these different communities together to build new tech products and services. The fellow should be prepared to work on one or more of these areas during their program. 2015 is a critical year for Myanmar, not least of all because there will be a national election in November. Amongst other projects, Phandeeyar will be working to ensure that ICT is harnessed to ensure that this election is a success.
Desired Personal Qualities:
- Passionate and knowledgeable about technology and in particular civictech, ICT4D and M4D
- Entrepreneurial – flexible, adaptable and resourceful
- Outgoing – great people person
- Fun, creative, outgoing, team player
- Self-starter, free thinker, willing to share ideas
- Good listener and good communicator
- Organized, able to plan ahead, good follow through, and able to bring assigned work to a close.
Desired Skills, Experience, and Coursework:
- Coursework in technology, design thinking, development, and/or entrepreneurship,
- Experience in tech companies or organizations with extensive use of technology
- Strong knowledge of tech and tech trends. Actual technical skills would be a bonus
- Interest in data visualization and mining data to develop infographics.
- Significant work, study, and/or travel abroad are encouraged.
- Experience in writing research papers, new media, and social media is a plus though not required.
- Proficiency with standard office applications and simple web-based services is required.
Main Fellowship Disciplines:
- Social innovation
- Design thinking
- Media and Communications
- Community organizing and advocacy
- International Development
Strong English writing skills required. Knowledge of the Myanmar language would be a bonus, but not required.