Summer 2023 Fellows: Lawrence Chen ’26, Vivian Liang ’26
New York City Economic Development Corporation is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization that works for a vibrant, inclusive, and globally competitive economy for all New Yorkers. We take a comprehensive approach, through four main strategies: strengthen confidence in NYC as a great place to do business; grow innovative sectors, with a focus on equity; build neighborhoods as places to live, learn, work, and play; and deliver sustainable infrastructure for communities and the city’s future economy.
Description of the Work
This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurially-minded and highly collaborative individual to support the NYCEDC’s Partnerships team. The group develops and manages EDC’s corporate and industry relationships and identifies strategic opportunities for collaboration on new or existing economic development initiatives.
Partnerships engages stakeholders across the private, public, philanthropic and academic sectors, nationally and internationally, to achieve positive impact for the organization, the partnering organizations, and the broader NYC economy.
This position is ideal for individuals seeking to acquire strong business skills, take on responsibility and help create positive impact for New York City’s people and businesses. Our Fellows are treated like fulltime staff members and as such, are given real projects to independently manage.
- Sourcing of new partners, including developing KPIs, conducting prospect research, preparing business memos and presentation decks for meetings with management and staff within EDC and C-level external meetings.
- Monitoring and tracking progress of stakeholder projects using appropriate tools to ensure timeline and objectives are met. Share updates with all relevant parties.
- Work with the teams to develop and implement process solutions to improve operational efficiency
- Help with staff engagements with local, state, and diplomatic missions to align programs that market/promote New York to boost foreign direct investments in the City’s economy and businesses.
- Support the strategy and program management for EDC-industry events and roundtables and identify and coordinate participation of EDC’s staff at strategic business development events and international engagements.
The Fellow’s projects will span a wide range of industries (e.g. life sciences, tech, industrial, fashion, cybersecurity, AI, etc.), policies (land use, development of public-private-partnerships, financial incentives, etc.), and entities (City, State, Federal, and Internationals governments, startups, corporations, academic institutions, etc.).
- Understanding of entrepreneurship ecosystems, public private partnerships, and/or urban economic development strategies is a plus
- Coursework or professional experience in project management is helpful, but not required
- Must be detail-oriented, solutions oriented and self-directed with ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities under tight deadlines.
- Must be a hard-worker and a self-starter, who is both flexible and curious
- Professional judgment and a high degree of poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external contacts
- Exceptional business writing and communications skills are required
- Solid analytical and research skills with an ability to effectively collect analyze and distill information.
- MS PowerPoint and Excel fluency required. A strong appetite for design and visual presentation of data (charts, infographics) is a plus.