The Legislative Yuan is the unicameral legislature of Republic of China (Taiwan). It is one of the five branches of government stipulated by the Constitution of the Republic of China, which follows Sun Yat-sen’s Three Principles of the People. Although sometimes referred to as a “parliament”, the Legislative Yuan, under Sun’s political theory, is a branch of government. According to the Judicial Yuan’s interpretation number 76 of the Constitution (1957), the parliament of the republic includes all three of the National Assembly (now abolished), the Legislative Yuan, and the Control Yuan. However, after constitutional amendments effectively transferring almost all of the National Assembly’s powers to the Legislative Yuan in the late 1990s, it has become more common in Taiwanese newspapers to refer to the Legislative Yuan as “the parliament”.
Jason Hsu is a Legislator and Congressman in the Legislative Yuan Republic of China (Taiwan). He is elected with an at-large seat by party nomination pertaining to KMT. His electoral portfolio includes technology, innovation, environment sustainability, Fintech, immigration reform, open government and marriage equality. He currently serves as convener of the Committee of Foreign Affairs and National Defense.
Prior to joining politics, Jason was curator of TEDxTaipei and served as TEDx Senior Ambassador to Asia since 2011. As a technologist-turned-legislator, Jason believes the advent of new technologies can have a positive impact on humanity and society as a whole. In Congress, he champions progressive legislation regarding government transparency, sharing economy, free-market economics, thoughtful immigration and marriage equality. More recently, he’s proud to have introduced and led the marriage equality bill that resulted in Taiwan’s constitutional court legalizing same-sex marriage as of May 20th 2017. He is especially concerned about the rise of automation and artificial intelligence and robots. How will these technologies impact future workforce, social welfare, education and industry development? How will policymakers and legislators respond to that? What sort of policy and innovative legislations need to be in place so that technology isn’t merely disruptor but a tool for betterment to social mobility?
- Strong interest in the East Asia region and US, Taiwan, and China relations.
- Background in Asia studies, economics, political science, law, technology policy and public administration is desired
- Mandarin speakers preferred but not necessary.
Acts and legislation led by Congressman Jason Hsu:
“Marriage Equality Act”, Drafted and passed “Act for Recruitment and Employment for Foreign Professional Talent”, “Statue for Industrial Innovation for Angel Investment”, “Autonomous Vehicles Act”,” “Financial Technology Innovation Experimentation Act(Regulatory Sandbox)”, “Digital Economy Principal Law”,”Cybersecurity Management Act”, “Immigration Reform Act”
- Website: https://www.jhsu.tw/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/congress.jason/
- Twitter: @augama
- LinkedIn :https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonhsu1/
- Media interviews:
- INTERVIEW: Jason Hsu, the New Face of Taiwan’s KMT: https://international.thenewslens.com/article/42524
- A backlash against same-sex marriage tests Taiwan’s reputation for gay rights: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/a-backlash-against-same-sex-marriage-tests-taiwans-reputation-for-gay-rights/2017/04/19/f855c8b8-2004-11e7-bcd6-6d1286bc177d_story.html?utm_term=.dd717903e217
- From dictatorship to LGBT paradise: Taiwan’s road towards marriage equality: https://qz.com/875131/taiwans-unlikely-road-to-marriage-equality/
- Taiwan debates gay marriage: https://www.economist.com/news/asia/21711096-it-would-be-first-country-asia-legalise-it-taiwan-debates-gay-marriage
- Taiwan’s top court paves way for same-sex marriage : http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/taiwans-top-court-paves-way-for-same-sex-marriage
- Jason Hsu, Member of Parliament, Wants to Turn Taiwan into Fintech Hub, Seeks Robust ICO Market: https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2017/11/124852-jason-hsu-member-parliament-wants-turn-taiwan-fintech-hub-seeks-robust-ico-market/
- UPDATE: Taiwan Must Be Brave on Cryptocurrency Stance : https://international.thenewslens.com/article/80463
- Taiwan Opts for Caution in Developing Fintech: https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2017/04/taiwan-opts-caution-developing-fintech/
- In Taiwan, Modest Test of Driverless Bus May Hint at Big Things to Come: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/automobiles/wheels/taiwan-autonomous-bus-test.html
- Jason Hsu and Ellen Lee: Drafting a legal framework for the digital economy : https://meet.bnext.com.tw/intl/articles/view/40171
- Jason Hsu, Member of Parliament, Wants to Turn Taiwan into Fintech Hub, Seeks Robust ICO Market | : http://www.venturecanvas.com/2017/11/20/jason-hsu-member-of-parliament-wants-to-turn-taiwan-into-fintech-hub-seeks-robust-ico-market-venturecanvas/
- A rapper, a congressman, and Ethereum’s co-founder discuss cryptocurrency in Taiwan : https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3308655
- Taiwan legislator to push for urgent ICO law after South Korean ban : https://www.ft.com/content/16e5cda0-473a-3dee-8824-46b1e0e20e3b
- South Korea joins global backlash against initial coin offerings : https://www.ft.com/content/c245372a-a4e0-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2
- Smart beta versus dumb investors : https://www.ft.com/content/da2746b0-d964-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09