Summer 2019 Fellow: Sarah Bitter, ‘22 (Undeclared)
More information: https://www.calpers.ca.gov
A respected partner, providing a sustainable retirement system and health care program for those who serve California.
The fellow would report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), who oversees the organization’s budgeting, financial planning, risk management, and contracting with local government employers. Work would include:
- Learning the complexities of the factors that affect governments’ pension costs and their ability to plan and pay for them.
- Helping to prepare materials for the Finance and Administration Committee of the CalPERS Board.
- Special research projects on issues of high importance.
- Preparing short memos in response to topical issues related to pensions and health care benefits.
The CFO is also a member of the University of California Board of Regents. Depending on the fellow’s interest in higher education policy, additional work could include reviewing Regent agenda materials and preparing memos on key issues facing the Regents.
Desired Skills, Experience, and Coursework:
- Ability to ask good questions
- Excellent analytical and writing skills, with a basic comfort with numbers/spreadsheets
- Good judgment
- Ability to work independently
- Maturity, tact, and reliability
Note on In-Person Work
CalPERS is only prepared to host an in-person fellow. If the university prohibits SIG from supporting in-person work this summer, SIG will work with the selected fellow to provide a stipend for work in an alternative policy fellowship.