Spring 2021 Fellow: Sarah Gao, ‘24 (Economics and Political Science)
Summer 2021 Fellow: Lucas Leanza, ‘23 (Economics and Political Science)
New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
This is an exciting opportunity for two entrepreneurially-minded and highly collaborative individuals to support the NYCEDC’s Partnerships team. The group develops and manages EDC’s corporate and industry relationships and identifies strategic opportunities for collaboration on new or existing economic development initiatives. Partnerships engages stakeholders across the private, public, philanthropic and academic sectors, nationally and internationally, to achieve positive impact for the organization, the partnering organizations, and the broader NYC economy. This position is ideal for individuals seeking to acquire strong business skills, take on responsibility and help create positive impact for New York City’s people and businesses. Our Fellows are treated like full-time staff members and as such, are given real projects to independently manage. Responsibilities include:
- Sourcing of new partners, including developing KPIs, conducting prospect research, preparing business memos and presentation decks for meetings with management and staff within EDC and C-level external meetings.
- Monitoring and tracking progress of stakeholder projects using appropriate tools to ensure timeline and objectives are met.
- Share updates with all relevant parties.
- Work with the teams to develop and implement process solutions to improve operational efficiency.
- Help with staff engagements with local, state, and diplomatic missions to align programs that market/promote New York to boost foreign direct investments in the City’s economy and businesses.
- Support the strategy and program management for EDC-industry events and roundtables and identify and coordinate participation of EDC’s staff at strategic business development events and international engagements.
- Understanding of entrepreneurship ecosystems, public private partnerships, and/or urban economic development strategies is a plus.
- Coursework or professional experience in project management, workforce development/employment, and labor policy is helpful, but not required.
- Strong interest to understand how workforce development/employment and labor policy is put into practice as an economic development and urban planning practitioner.
- Must be detail-oriented, solutions oriented and self-directed with ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities under tight deadlines.
- Must be a hard-worker and a self-starter, who is both flexible and curious
- Professional judgment and a high degree of poise and professionalism when interacting with internal and external contacts
- Exceptional business writing and communications skills are required.
- Solid analytical and research skills with an ability to effectively collect, analyze and distill information.
- MS PowerPoint and Excel fluency required. A strong appetite for design and visual presentation of data (charts, infographics) is a plus.